Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Second Movement Presentation - March 13

For the second movement of my trio, I have decided to use the scherzo and trio form for this movement as I believe that this form will best reflect the literary material I am evoking. The scherzo is fast and agitated, depicting the raging river of fire and jousting as described by Dante in the Anger and Greed rings. The trio will be a slower and mysterious section and will depict the flaming tombs and suffering souls in the Heresy ring.

Last Friday, I presented the opening scherzo in seminar class. Overall, the class liked the movement and responded well to what I was attempting to evoke. It was suggested that I could even go further with the depictions with the addition of more angular and disjointed lines. I will incorporate this suggestion into the return of the scherzo after the trio section. As well, at the suggestion of the class, I changed the 11/8 time signature into one bar of 4/4 plus one bar of 3/8 to better reflect the established beat pattern. I am looking forward to finishing this movement this week and moving on to writing the third movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment