Thursday, January 15, 2015

First Blog Post!

Wow! This is my first blog, ever! I'm very excited to be the owner of not just a blog, but a composition blog, where I can write about my compositions and progress with my composing!

Our first assignment in seminar class is to create two short character pieces for piano and one other instrument. However, each piece has to use melody in a non-traditional sense, with one using pointillism. I have chosen to write both for piano and violin, and both pieces are connected through a common theme: wind. 

My first piece ...and the wind whispered... is mostly ethereal and primarily uses artificial and natural harmonics to create a sense of a gentle wind floating by. The class suggested that the octave D's in the left hand in m.9-15 should be one single low D, in order to create space in the texture. I tried it myself afterwards, and I agree that it sounds alot better without the octaves. It was also suggested that certain parts felt "sectionalized" and not connected. I will experiment with this more in the coming week, and post the results of my experimentation soon!

I've just finished composing the companion piece ...and the wind gusted... and will be presenting this in seminar class tomorrow. This piece depicts the wind in a more forceful manner, with sharp and jagged melodies (pointillism) and frequent accents. Looking forward to sharing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment