Thursday, January 22, 2015

Same Piece, New Title!

So I now have two pieces composed for piano and violin with each representing a different facet of "wind." During my seminar presentation of ...and the wind gushed..., the class suggested that I could do more to show the "gushing" of the wind by adding more tremolos and 16th-note runs. However, after careful consideration and thought, I have decided to take Dr. Ross' suggestion instead, which was to keep the piece the way it currently is and give it a new title. During the composition process on this piece, I really liked my initial motive and it provided ample opportunities for variation and development. I was pleased with the way it turned out, and adding more sixteenth-notes would interfere with the aforementioned eighth-note motive that is passed between the piano and violin. Also, since it is a miniature I did not want to introduce too many different ideas/gestures and possibly leave some undeveloped. Therefore, I have renamed the piece as ...as the wind howled..., to reflect the frustrated and angry tone created by the jagged melodies and pointillism used throughout.

I have begun to compose a third piece, which at the moment I think will be the final piece in this set. This piece will, in fact, be called ...and the wind gushed... which will be based upon two different motives: a fast, undulating sixteenth-note motive depicting swirling winds, and a flowing eighth-note pattern. I am using the aforementioned suggestions from the class to create a new piece, one that reflects this title more clearly. Look for my next post as I discuss the completed version of this piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment